Williams opt against official car launch
|By Jonathan Noble||Wednesday, January 2nd 2008, 14:22 GMT|
Williams have decided against holding an official launch event this year, as they focus their efforts on returning to the front of the Formula One grid in 2008.
After an encouraging campaign last year, where the team erased the memories of their difficult time in 2006 to finish fourth in the constructors' championship, they are hoping to make further progress with their FW30 in the forthcoming season.
However, despite the high hopes with the new car, the team have opted against holding an official launch presentation for the new machine.
Although no specific reason has been specified for that move, it is thought that with the Grove-based outfit enjoying sponsorship and technical stability, and having already confirmed their driver line-up of Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima, it was felt there was little to gain from holding a big launch event.
Technical director Sam Michael told autosport.com at the end of last year that he felt Williams had regained their respect in 2007 thanks to improved reliability, as they eyed another step forward in 2008.
"The year was all about doing what we did," he said. "Our target was to restore our respect and make sure our reliability was strong.
"It wasn't perfect, as we had four DNFs in the whole year that were caused by mechanical failures, so our target is to get that to zero because that is what you need to win the world championship.
"There are still things to work on and make better as well as performance. But, having that good strong base of reliability helps you enormously to develop your performance because everyone is focused on making the car go faster.
"I would say as far as our goals for 2007 are concerned, we achieved them. And our goal is to make the next step up for 2008."