Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

McLaren may avoid appeal for sake of F1

McLaren may decide not to appeal their harsh penalty in the interests of Formula One, team boss Ron Dennis said on Saturday

The record $100 million USD fine and loss of all McLaren's 2007 constructors' points were imposed by the FIA on Thursday at a hearing into the spying controversy.

"If we do not appeal this, it will be because we want closure," Dennis told reporters at the Belgian Grand Prix.

"The other teams I hope will understand the financial penalty we will swallow in the interests of the sport."

McLaren say they did not gain any competitive advantage from the Ferrari data. However, the hearing in Paris heard how double world champion Fernando Alonso and test driver Pedro de la Rosa were aware Coughlan was getting information from inside Ferrari.

Dennis has six days in which to appeal and he said he would make a recommendation to the McLaren shareholders, who would then have the final say.

Dennis was wary of the prospect of months, if not years, of legal argument ahead and the accompanying distraction to the team management.

But he emphasized that any decision against an appeal must not be interpreted as an admission of guilt.

"I don't want to drag this thing on if I can get closure; and closure is for Formula One. It has to be complete closure," he said, when asked about the prospect of legal action by Ferrari rumbling on in the Italian courts for years to come.

The Italian team have taken action against former employee Nigel Stepney, who is accused of leaking the dossier to Coughlan earlier this year.

Italian police notified Dennis and other McLaren managers at Monza last weekend that they were under investigation, while Coughlan faces legal action in England.

The $100 million fine will be minus any prize money that would have come to the team, and that alone could effectively halve the size of any cheque payable.

McLaren, 40 percent owned by DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes and one of the wealthiest teams in the paddock, are debt-free despite having spent in the region of $600 million on their state-of-the-art Woking factory.

Annual turnover is roughly $450-500 million.

"There is not more than one other team in the pitlane who can take a $100 million hit," said Dennis. "At the end of the day, we can swallow it."

Previous article Raikkonen tops practice 3 - Belgium
Next article Mosley: McLaren penalty too lenient

Top Comments

Latest news