Malaysia extends GP deal until 2015
|By Pablo Elizalde
||Friday, August 24th 2007, 11:28 GMT
Malaysia's Motorsports Commission has announced the signing of an extension to host a Formula One Grand Prix in the country until 2015.
The extension had been announced in April this year, but the deal had not yet been signed as the Malaysian government was considering the viability of new clauses included in the contract.
The current contract expires in 2010, but the Asian country has finally signed the five-year extension.
"It is very pleasing to note that the Government has reaffirmed its commitment to Formula One, this will not only provide long term benefits to tourism," said Azman Yahya, chairman of the Motorsports Commission.
"It will also help us in expanding the already substantial motor sport industry in line with the Government's objective of turning Malaysia into a regional hub for motorsport."
Under the new contract, the Sepang circuit is committed to hold the race at night 'at any time upon notification' of Formula One Management.
Sepang chairman Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir said they were yet to make a decision on the installation of the lighting system for night races.
He made it clear, however, that any system would need the approval of the FIA and the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).
"FIA has not told us about the specifications for the night race," he said. "They have engaged a company, which would be conducting a test in Paul Ricard Circuit in September."