Hamilton says not at war with Alonso
|By Pablo Elizalde||Thursday, August 9th 2007, 15:22 GMT|
Championship leader Lewis Hamilton has said there is no war with teammate Fernando Alonso following the controversy of the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Hamilton revealed on Sunday that Alonso was not speaking to him after the British driver disobeyed McLaren team orders during qualifying for the Hungaroring race.
The Briton's decision triggered an incident which eventually cost Alonso pole position and McLaren being barred from scoring points in the race.
The rookie, however, has said Alonso and him have talked again since then and denied reports that he is at war with world champion Alonso.
"For the record, Fernando and I are fiercely competitive and respectful of each other," said Hamilton in a statement issued by his team. "We are both ambitious drivers who want to win. However, we are not drivers at war, as has been widely reported.
"Although we did not speak on Sunday we have spoken since the weekend and continue to have a professional working relationship. In fact, Fernando and I plan to meet up over the holiday period.
"As an individual in my first year in Formula One I have done my utmost to conduct myself in a professional and open manner. Of course, I have made mistakes, not least during the last weekend, and those are open to public scrutiny. I have my own regrets and have dealt with matters arising.
"However, it is disappointing that inflammatory and untrue material is given to the media and published which may damage reputations. This inflammatory material is then commentated on by many others as if it is factual.
"Whilst I wouldn't normally communicate through press statements, I felt it important to set this matter straight."