Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Alonso says title charge begins now

World champion Fernando Alonso thinks his title challenge will start in earnest when the Formula One season resumes in Europe, after claiming he is now more comfortable than he has ever been at McLaren

Alonso suggested that he was unhappy with some aspects of the way McLaren were run prior to Indianapolis, but has said that things are now much better after another one-two for the team in the United States Grand Prix.

And with McLaren currently enjoying an advantage over Ferrari, Alonso is bullish about his prospects despite teammate Lewis Hamilton being 10 points clear in the standings.

"I think I'm going to benefit from coming back to Europe," said the world champion in a radio interview with Spanish radio station Cadena Ser on Tuesday. "I think the championship starts now.

"We have done just seven races, not even half the championship. And now I'm more comfortable than before and full of confidence that everything will go well from now on."

Alonso said he had noticed a change in the way McLaren dealt with Hamilton's success in Indy, and that he felt much happier with their approach.

"I think we are better than a week or two ago. They know we have a very good car, that everything is going well, that reliability is working, the car is very fast, and that both drivers are capable of winning races and finishing on the podium.

"After last week, when I said that they were happier when Hamilton won, something that everybody noticed too, I think they are now being more careful with their manners. And (at Indy) we saw a more general joy."

And Alonso has rubbished suggestions that he is unhappy the team allow both drivers full access to each other's data.

It was Alonso's information from Friday practice at Indianapolis that helped Hamilton make a step forward in his pace, especially in the track's middle sector, from Saturday.

"The team does a good job in that aspect," said Alonso.

"Since he is new in the category and he doesn't know the tracks, on Fridays he gets all the data from my car and my laps so he knows the circuit better and knows where the time is found."

Previous article Dennis not expecting Prost, Senna repeat
Next article Dennis fears for Hamilton's privacy

Top Comments

Latest news