Mowlem unsure about future
|By Jonathan Noble||Friday, January 12th 2007, 15:11 GMT|
Johnny Mowlem is unsure about whether he will continue in prototypes in the American Le Mans Series this year, despite impressing during two outings for Zytek at the end of last season.
Driving alongside Stefan Johansson, the Briton finished second at Petit Le Mans and was on pole for the season finale at Laguna Seca to justify his step up from the GT category.
However, with Zytek unlikely to continue with their factory involvement next year as they consider their customer options, Mowlem has said he is not sure where his future lies.
And he admitted that the lack of paid drives in prototypes means he may have to accept a GT drive to earn a living.
"Unfortunately, and I was asked this as soon as Petit Le Mans was over, the mortgage and bank balance require GTs where there is more money," said Mowlem on stage at the Autosport International Show.
"The factory Zytek team at the moment aren't running a factory programme next year, although there is still some talk about them doing an LMS project with myself and Johnny Herbert. But, as time goes by, that is slipping away from being a reality."
Mowlem is convinced, however, that he will return to Le Mans this year - and is still holding out on getting his hands on a prototype machine.
"Yeah, I am actually just putting a deal together now, " he said. "I didn't want to jump the gun too much because now I have had a taste of LMP I didn't want to commit to GT. So I have been keeping my powder dry, but I will definitely be at the race."
Mowlem also recounted his tale of a brush with the American police last year, when he was arrested after being stopped twice for speeding. (Listen to Mowlem on the audio soundbite).