autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

FIA defends Monza safety, officials

Formula One's ruling body, the FIA, has defended the safety standards of the Monza circuit following complaints from the Grand Prix Drivers' Association.

The GPDA on Monday issued a statement lamenting their calls for changes at the Italian track, the fastest on the calendar, had been ignored.

The drivers were also critical of the circuit bosses for failing to attend a meeting with them ahead of the Italian Grand Prix to discuss their concerns.

But the FIA said on Wednesday that circuit officials can't discuss the safety of their track with any third parties, including the drivers themselves.

"The owners of circuits licensed for Formula One are required not to discuss safety measures with third parties (including drivers)," said the FIA in a statement.

"This is to prevent self-appointed experts, with little or no understanding of the latest developments in circuit safety, causing confusion and undermining the significant safety benefits which are now being achieved."

The governing body also said it was delighted with the results of a new safety barrier installed at Monza for last weekend's race.

"Last weekend's Italian Grand Prix at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza was the first Formula One race to see the introduction of a new High Speed Barrier developed by the FIA Institute and the FIA," the statement added.

"The system, which was installed at the end of the run-off areas at the circuit's second chicane and Parabolica corners, was designed for particular use at corners with high speed approaches and limited run-off areas.

"Over six years in research and development, this special barrier is capable of absorbing the energy of a 200km/h impact whilst keeping the G-forces experienced by the driver to tolerable levels.

The FIA Institute developed the unique system, following a programme of testing in collaboration with German automotive safety group DEKRA.

"The new barrier involves three separate layers, the first of which is made up of plastic blocks filled with polyethylene foam, a material which is known for its high energy absorption properties and vertical steel plates to resist penetration. The blocks were created by French company TecPro International.

"The TecPro blocks are plastic containers measuring 1.5m long, 1m high and 0.6m deep. Each end is formed into a half circle, enabling them to connect with each other like a giant puzzle.

"A 1.2m gap then separates the TecPro elements from the second part of the barrier system, a four or six row tyre barrier where each stack of tyres is fitted with a 30cm diameter tube made from high density polyetheylene. The final part of the barrier system consists of a guardrail or specially designed concrete wall. The whole barrier system is just four metres deep.

"The FIA were delighted with the installations at Monza and will be discussing the feasibility of similar installations at other tracks with the relevant circuit authorities."

Daytona Competition
Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Trulli pleased with altered Monza corner
Drivers positive about Monza changes
Monza chicane modified at GPDA request
Coulthard hits back at FIA on Monza safety
Monza officials defend circuit safety
GPDA disappointed with Monza officials
Angry drivers demand changes at Monza
Webber wants improved safety at Monza
Haymarket