Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 5 views remaining

You have read 10 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.


Glenn Freeman
AUTOSPORT.com Editor

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

'Engine fund' talks continue

Formula One's engine manufacturers are still trying to put together a deal for an 'Engine Fund' for the independent teams, despite their earlier offer being rejected by rival teams and the FIA on Saturday afternoon.

The carmakers have until 4pm on Sunday to reach a unanimous agreement on engine rules if they are to head off the threat of a full engine freeze from 2008.

The unanimous agreement rests on the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association (GPMA) forming a 48 million (70 million Euro) fund that will ensure a supply of customer engines for a five-year period.

That deal would require a contribution of around 15 million Euros each from the manufacturers - but so far they have only offered 10 million Euros. FIA president Max Mosley made it clear in an hour-long meeting with the teams on Saturday afternoon that there would be no compromise on the original figure.

The collapse of talks on Saturday has been followed by further meetings in the paddock, and talks are likely to continue on Sunday morning to try and find a deal that will be accepted by the independent teams and the FIA.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug has said that he hopes a solution can be found.

"We want to help try and build a safety net but whether it works I don't know," he said. "This is not financing a competitor, it is building a fund just in case somebody drops out and helping the independent teams. I think it is a good gesture.

"Having said that, you are aware of what the V8 engines are costing currently and what is on the table at the moment is a 30 percent cost cut, which is a quite impressive figure.

"We really have worked day and night to find solutions and, believe me, the manufacturers are strong and committed, but it is not so easy to bring your various ideas together.

"At the beginning, a few years ago, you could not even mention rev limits, I would still have loved to have a V10 engine with 750bhp and an over-rev button with an additional 200bhp because this would have given excitement, but no one was listening at the time.

"That is the past. Now, we have 20,000rpm with the V8 but it is not a cheap issue. So, we need to further improve and there are positive talks and I hope we find a common solution."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Ferrari give GPMA ultimatum on engine deal
Renault not endorsing GPMA statement
FIA set to reject yet another GPMA offer
GPMA criticises FIA, warns of legal action
GPMA urges FIA to accept engine proposal
Full engine freeze looking more likely
Teams urged to set up 'engine fund'
Engine makers pessimistic on agreement
Engine makers given French GP deadline
Manufacturers yet to rule out legal action
Engine deal awaits final signatures
Teams agree on new engine rules
Briatore fed up with engine debate
Engine makers still hopeful of compromise
Mosley, Goeschel to meet over freeze
FIA: no compromise on engine freeze
Engine makers still hopeful of FIA deal
FIA blocks vote on engine freeze
Engine makers still aim to avoid freeze
Mosley unmoved by cost-cut criticism
Carmakers planning response for FIA
Mosley: carmakers failed to stop freeze
FIA presses ahead with engine freeze plan
Engine makers hopeful of imminent deal
Engine bosses face British GP deadline
Engine makers confident of compromise
FIA rejects move against engine freeze
Engine freeze could stir more controversy
Renault behind engine freeze idea
Haymarket