Wurz quickest in practice 1 - Britain
|By Jamie O'Leary||Friday, June 9th 2006, 11:07 GMT|
Alex Wurz continued his impressive Friday form as he topped the timesheets in the first free practice session for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Wurz set the pace in 1:21.946, beating Honda's British test driver Anthony Davidson by less than six hundredths of a second.
BMW Sauber tester Robert Kubica enhanced his chances of a race drive next year with third quickest while Jarno Trulli gave Toyota hope of a good result on Sunday with the fourth quickest time - the best result by a race driver.
Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher took to the track in the final minutes – completing one flying lap, but could not topple Kubica's time and finished fifth fastest.
The 37-year-old Ferrari driver then suffered a quick spin on his in-lap at Bridge corner – without damage.
Honda's Jenson Button, who is sporting a new helmet design in support of England's football World Cup campaign, was seventh quickest in front of his home crowd.
Wurz was the first to complete a flying lap, but was only joined on track by four other cars during the opening quarter of the session.
Franck Montagny brought out the red flags after 14 minutes when his Super Aguri stopped on the circuit on the pit-straight with an apparent technical failure.
After a three-minute pause to clear the stricken car, the session resumed, and Montagny's Japanese teammate Takuma Sato wasted little time in spinning at the fifth gear Becketts corner, but without damage.
Swiss test driver Giorgio Mondini spun his Midland in the final minutes of the session.
While exiting Priory corner, Mondini bounced over the grass and ended up stranded in the gravel trap on the outside of the next turn.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Wurz Williams-Cosworth (B) 1:21.946 26
2. Davidson Honda (M) 1:22.003 + 0.057 31
3. Kubica BMW-Sauber (M) 1:22.365 + 0.419 30
4. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:22.877 + 0.931 7
5. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:22.925 + 0.979 3
6. Barrichello Honda (M) 1:23.128 + 1.182 5
7. Button Honda (M) 1:23.415 + 1.469 6
8. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:23.816 + 1.870 4
9. Albers MF1-Toyota (B) 1:24.019 + 2.073 6
10. Monteiro MF1-Toyota (B) 1:24.070 + 2.124 6
11. Mondini MF1-Toyota (B) 1:24.087 + 2.141 19
12. Jani Toro Rosso-Cosworth (M) 1:24.145 + 2.199 22
13. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:27.724 + 5.778 10
14. Yamamoto Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:29.678 + 7.732 22
15. Doornbos Red Bull-Ferrari (M) No time 9
16. Montagny Super Aguri-Honda (B) No time 3
17. R.Schumacher Toyota (B) No time 2
18. Alonso Renault (M) No time 1
19. Fisichella Renault (M) No time 1
20. Klien Red Bull-Ferrari (M) No time 1
21. Coulthard Red Bull-Ferrari (M) No time 1
22. Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes (M) No time 1
23. Montoya McLaren-Mercedes (M) No time 1
24. Speed Toro Rosso-Cosworth (M) No time 1
25. Villeneuve BMW-Sauber (M) No time 1
26. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (M) No time 1
27. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Cosworth (M) No time 1
28. Webber Williams-Cosworth (B) No time
29. Rosberg Williams-Cosworth (B) No time
All Timing Unofficial