Massa relaxed about Ferrari future
|By Alan Baldwin||Thursday, May 25th 2006, 09:47 GMT|
Ferrari's Felipe Massa says he is relaxed about his Formula One future after Valentino Rossi's decision to remain in MotoGP.
"I never thought Rossi could come straight into Formula One with Ferrari," the Brazilian told reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix.
"There is a big leap between doing tests and becoming a regular Ferrari race driver," he added. "It was never a nightmare for me."
Rossi has had several tests with Ferrari, who showed considerable interest in the MotoGP champion last year, but the Italian announced on Wednesday that he would be staying on two wheels for some time yet.
The decision removed one potential threat to Massa's prospects of staying.
The Brazilian, who took the first podium finish of his Formula One career at the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring this month and also claimed his first fastest race lap in Spain, said he had plenty to hope for.
"It is all still open and we'll see what happens," he said.
"The most important thing is to carry on having good results. The possibility to stay is there and we hope to stay at Ferrari for several years."
Massa has a one-year contract with the Italian glamour team, who are waiting to hear whether seven times world champion Michael Schumacher wants to continue racing with them after this season or retire.
The former champions are also widely expected to sign Kimi Raikkonen from McLaren, either as a partner to 37-year-old Schumacher or as a replacement.
Ferrari boss Jean Todt has said that the team expect to announce their drivers for 2007 at the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in September.