Toro Rosso still to decide on engine plans
|Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 09:56 GMT|
The Toro Rosso team are still undecided about their engine plans for the 2007 season, according to co-owner Gerhard Berger.
Toro Rosso are the only team using V10 engines this season, and they still have a year left of their contract with Cosworth to run the 10-cylinder units.
Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz said earlier this year they intend to respect the contract, despite complaints from Toro Rosso's rivals about the advantage of using a V10 engine.
There were rumours in the San Marino Grand Prix that Toro Rosso could be switched onto Ferrari engines next year while the Red Bull team, currently using the Italian units, would use Cosworth's V8.
Although Berger believes Ferrari have solved their engine problems, the Austrian hinted that he would like to stay with Cosworth units next season.
The Former driver, however, said no decision has yet been made.
"I think that Ferrari has by now mastered their engine gremlins, but I consider the Cosworth to be the best V8 engine currently," said Berger. "What we shall do for 2007 regarding engines has not been decided yet."
Berger also said the criticism Toro Rosso have received for using V10 engines is understandable now the team have moved away from the back of the grid.
"You see, this was Minardi, a race team which had enormous sympathies because they were the eternal last. Now, the comments against has have become much sharper. Which is understandable, since we are not here to be last."