Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Formula 1
Dutch GP
US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

Formula 1
Dutch GP
TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Formula 1
Dutch GP
How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

MotoGP
Aragon GP
Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

Formula E
London ePrix II
FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Fernando Alonso not ruling out full-time switch to IndyCar racing

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso says he is open to contesting a full IndyCar Series campaign in the future after his Indianapolis 500 experience

Alonso led 27 laps on his oval racing debut with Andretti Autosport last month and was running seventh when his Honda engine failed in the closing stages.

He appeared on NBC's television broadcast of Saturday night's Texas IndyCar race via a video link from Montreal, where he is back in F1 with McLaren for the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend.

Asked by the hosts if he might consider a full-time switch to IndyCar after F1, Alonso replied: "why not?"

He emphasised that his priority beyond F1 at present remained securing a 'triple crown' by winning Indy and the Le Mans 24 Hours to go with his Monaco GP and F1 title successes.

"I'm more ready to do F1, trying to find the best car possible out there," said Alonso.

"I would look at different options.

"Indy 500 would be the first priority for the triple crown, but a full season another time, why not?"


Alonso appeared to enjoy the spectacle of the Texas Motor Speedway race, which featured extremely close side-by-side racing from the start.

"Watching now the race, these guys, they are the best guys," he said.

"I have to learn many things to do one race, I need to learn so many more to do the whole season."

On Thursday Alonso intimated that winning grands prix by September was the only way McLaren-Honda could convince him to stay for 2018.

He underlined that his future beyond this season was currently wide open.

"I'm very open to anything," said Alonso.

"I don't have a clear answer right now. "I would be lying if I told you I know what would happen next year."

Previous article Toto Wolff could see Nico Rosberg racing for Ferrari in Formula 1
Next article Ralf Schumacher and Fernando Alonso row over karting circuit

Top Comments

Latest news