Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Jenson Button: Massive step from McLaren a boost for Monaco GP

Jenson Button says the "massive" step promised by McLaren-Honda's upgrades makes him confident his Formula 1 return for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix can be a success

Fernando Alonso's decision to skip the Monaco F1 race to contest IndyCar's Indianapolis 500 has opened the door for a one-off return for Button, who is a McLaren reserve this season after stepping out of the cockpit at the end of 2016.

Alonso qualified seventh for the recent Spanish GP after McLaren brought the first part of an update package that will be completed for Monaco.

"It was great to see the performance in Barcelona in qualifying by Fernando," said Button on Monday during an event at McLaren's Technology Centre to promote its 'World's Fastest Gamer' contest.

"P7 - what a step forward. He obviously did a great lap but it shows how much improvement the team has made.

"It is massive. I can't say how many points of downforce but it was a lot, and there is another good step for Monaco as well.

"If 'Fonzy' [Alonso] can put it seventh in Barcelona then we should be looking sweet for Monaco."

Button declined the chance to test the 2017 McLaren in Bahrain last month, preferring to carry out all his preparations for his F1 return in the team's simulator.

He feels he has learned enough about this year's car that way, though he joked that his simulator runs had not been trouble-free.

"When I jumped in I initially didn't like the feel [of the car], and this was before the updates," said Button.

"So we made some set-up changes and it was much better and suited my style a lot more - and with the updates it is pretty awesome to drive.

"I also fell into the port twice today [on the simulator], and hopefully that will not happen.

"After Turn 1 [Sainte Devote] you go up the hill, I fell off on the right hand side. And rolled.

"I've never rolled in the simulator before - but I rolled!

"Lucky enough the impact isn't as big as in reality, but you still get a jolt and a bit of G-force."

Previous article Mercedes' Spanish Grand Prix failure was never seen before
Next article Newey: Red Bull 'committee' hasn't worked for 2017 F1 rule changes

Top Comments

Latest news