Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Sauber F1 team talking with Ferrari about Giovinazzi reserve role

The Sauber Formula 1 team is in talks with Ferrari about making GP2 runner-up Antonio Giovinazzi its reserve driver in 2017, Autosport has learned

The Swiss team is keen to secure a third driver, particularly as new recruit Pascal Wehrlein injured his neck in an accident during last month's Race of Champions event.

Medical examinations are continuing with a decision on whether Wehrlein will drive in the first test, starting at Barcelona on February 27, expected in the next week.

Sauber acknowledged late last year that its lack of reserve was "an issue", after Marcus Ericsson hit a chicken while riding a bicycle before the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Keen to have a back-up in place in case Wehrlein does not recover in time for the season opener, Sauber's Giovinazzi talks are complicated by the fact the Italian is Ferrari's third driver.

Giovinazzi, who drove an F1 car for the first time earlier this month, will be tasked with Ferrari simulator duties and complete F1's mandatory 2017 young driver testing for the squad.

Sauber team boss Monica Kaltenborn is having discussions with Ferrari counterpart Maurizio Arrivabene about making a deal for Giovinazzi work.

It is believed such an arrangement would have the scope to include Friday outings.

If Giovinazzi does not take up the role, it is believed another Ferrari protege, GP3 champion Charles Leclerc, is another candidate.

Meanwhile, it has emerged Haas is also in talks with Ferrari about giving Giovinazzi some time in the car this season.

"I can't say anything official yet, but we are discussing it," Haas team principal Gunther Steiner told Autosport's sister title Motorsport.com.

Previous article Renault F1 team appoints Pete Machin as new head of aerodynamics
Next article European parliament backs call for Formula 1 investigation

Top Comments

Latest news