Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's new F1 engine comes with fresh but expected driveability issues

The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The advice Marquez gave Hadjar over his wrist injury

F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Russell takes pole in tight sprint qualifying with Antonelli fifth

F1 Dutch GP: Antonelli pips Norris in practice amid poor showing for Red Bull

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Antonelli pips Norris in practice amid poor showing for Red Bull

The hidden benefit of Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
The hidden benefit of Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit

Ogier set for WRC return after Rally Finland crash

WRC
Rally del Paraguay
Ogier set for WRC return after Rally Finland crash

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Antonelli fastest from Norris in practice

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Antonelli fastest from Norris in practice

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell takes sprint pole from Norris

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Russell takes sprint pole from Norris

Ferrari F1 team to retain Charles Leclerc on its driver academy

Charles Leclerc is set to be retained by the Ferrari's young driver programme for 2017, according to the Formula 1 team's boss Maurizio Arrivabene

The Ferrari protege has carried out driving duties for Haas in three Friday practice sessions this season with appearances in Brazil and Abu Dhabi also scheduled, and he drove for Ferrari at the post-British Grand Prix test.

But in Malaysia, Haas team principal Gunther Steiner ruled out signing the Ferrari protege for 2016 as he feels the American outfit needs experienced drivers.

"Charles doesn't have any problems," said Arrivabene.

"I recognise that he is a very talented guy and it is still for next year, the Ferrari driver academy.

"The one thing for a talented guy like Charles is to be calm and to do his job without burning out."

Leclerc, who needs to win the GP3 title to earn enough qualifying points for an F1 superlicence, is part of a four-strong academy that includes GP3 drivers Antonio Fuoco and Giuliano Alesi and European Formula 3 racer Guan Yu Zhou.

Jules Bianchi was the academy's first member, with Force India's Sergio Perez also coming through the programme.

Other past members include Lance Stroll, who is believed to be close to signing an F1 race deal with Williams, Raffaele Marciello, Mirko Bortolotti, Daniel Zampieri and Brandon Maisano.

There had been rumours last summer that Ferrari was thinking of ending the young driver programme.

It was set up in 2009 to develop young drivers with the aim of them progressing to Ferrari's F1 team.

But while Red Bull's similar initiative has helped Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen join the senior F1 team, no driver from Ferrari's academy has made the step up to its F1 programme.

Arrivabene refuted the claims at the time, with Massimo Rivola taking over as part of a restructure of the programme late last year.

When asked if any other drivers are on Ferrari's radar to boost its current pool of four, Arrivabene said: "We are fine with who we have just now."

Previous article Why would Mercedes screw Hamilton?
Next article Red Bull's Marko believes pressure forced Hamilton's Sepang failure

Top Comments

Latest news