Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Feature
IndyCar
Markham
How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Sauber Formula 1 team acquired by Longbow Finance, future secured

Sauber has announced a change in ownership that founder Peter Sauber says secures the future of the Formula 1 outfit

The Swiss team has encountered financial difficulties this season, with cashflow problems leading to salaries being paid late for four successive months.

But Autosport revealed last month Sauber had found a solution to save it from extinction and it has now announced Longbow Finance SA has acquired Sauber Holding AG, which is the holding company of the Sauber Group.

Sauber says there will be no changes to the team name or the company, but Peter Sauber will retire, relinquishing his role as president of the board of directors.

Kaltenborn will remain on the board and continue to lead the company as CEO and team principal.

Sauber will be succeeded by Pascal Picci as chairman of Sauber Holding AG.

Picci is the president and CEO of Longbow Finance, which has been active in financial investments for more than 20 years.

"Monisha Kaltenborn and I on Tuesday signed an agreement which secures the future of the Formula 1 team and the Sauber Group," said Sauber.

"I am very happy that my courageous investment to buy the team back, which I made six years ago, with the intention to secure the base in Hinwil and the place in Formula 1 has proved to be correct."

Kaltenborn added: "We are convinced that Longbow Finance SA is the perfect partner to again make the team competitive and successful in Formula 1.

"At the same time the new structure will allow us to finally further expand our third party business in which we commercialise our know-how.

"This solution is in the best interest of our employees, partners, loyal suppliers, the base in Hinwil and for the Swiss motorsport."

The Sauber statement added: "It is Longbow Finance SA's clear intention to stabilise the group and create the basis for a competitive and successful future."

The news provides a boost to the team, which has been unable to upgrade its car all season because of a lack of finances.

The Swiss outfit also missed both in-season tests, with a lack of new parts to test one of the key reasons.

Peter Sauber originally brought his team into F1 in 1993. It was sold to BMW and ran as the German manufacturer's factory squad from 2006-09, with Sauber then stepping back in to save it when BMW decided to quit the championship.

Previous article Vijay Mallya says 'witch hunt' no threat to Force India F1 team
Next article Silverstone plans 25,000 British Grand Prix capacity increase

Top Comments

Latest news