Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Grosjean to focus on goals with Haas F1 after Ferrari driver call

Romain Grosjean says Ferrari retaining Kimi Raikkonen is "fine" and it allows him to focus on achieving more with Haas in 2017

Grosjean was believed to be one of the leading contenders if Ferrari decided to replace Raikkonen, and when he signed for Haas last year there were suggestions it was a first step towards landing a Ferrari move in the future.

AUTOSPORT SAYS: What should Ferrari have done?

When asked how Raikkonen's new deal - announced on Friday morning at the British Grand Prix - affected him, Grosjean said: "Not much. I get to wear the same clothes next year.

"It's fine. It's great for Kimi, it's one of the best teams, a team you want to be in, so good for Kimi.

"Now it's clear Kimi is staying and the market is closed with that.

"You always want to be in a team where you can be world champion, but I feel very well in Haas.

"We have more to do and I want to put Haas on the podium one day.

"Plus I want to do a NASCAR race and this means I get to do one next year."

Grosjean admitted that the prospect of a 2018 drive at Ferrari was still exciting.

"It would be great - that's in a long time but I've never hid the fact I want to be world champion and drive for a big team," he said.

"On the other hand I've discovered in Haas a very nice team and we're doing a great job.

"I'm proud to be part of that experience, and I'm convinced next year we can surprise more people."

Williams driver Valtteri Bottas, who was linked to Ferrari in the summer of 2015, played down any influence this latest deal for Raikkonen would have on his career.

"They've made their decision and that's good for Kimi," said the Finn, who added "there hasn't been anything" in terms of contact with Ferrari.

"I'm with Williams at the moment so it doesn't affect me."

Previous article FIA won't budge on F1 radio restrictions despite teams' complaints
Next article Ferrari wanted to get pressure off Kimi Raikkonen with 2017 F1 deal

Top Comments

Latest news