Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

F1 team heads agree unanimously to revert to old qualifying format

Formula 1 qualifying is likely to revert back to the old system from the Bahrain Grand Prix, following a meeting of team principals and managers in the paddock ahead of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix

The emergency meeting was held after the new style elimination format proved to be an unmitigated disaster after it ran for the first time on Saturday.

Speaking to , Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff said: "There was a meeting, with a unanimous decision taken to go back to the old format from Bahrain onwards.

"It needs to be ratified by the F1 Commission, but I would like to see who puts his hand up for yesterday's qualifying. It should be done in the next few days."

Asked whether there was any argument against, such as retaining Q1 and Q2 in its current guise, and switching Q3 only to the old format to ensure there would be action throughout, Wolff replied: "There were positive discussions.

"There were some teams who thought Q1 and Q2 would shake up things and would be interesting, but fundamentally common sense prevailed.

"We are now back to something we understand, where we have regulations and not reinvent something new.

"We would look really silly if there was a new compromise for next week, and then again we didn't like it."

As to whether the system is in place for the remainder of the season, Wolff said: "That's what we've decided, and maybe we will look at it again for next year."

Team bosses and drivers throughout the paddock slated the knockout system, with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone even telling he felt it was .

The first attempt at running the revamped system led to a lack of time and tyres to allow drivers to react to ending up 'on the bubble' in the 90-second elimination windows, resulting in large periods with no track action.

Previous article What we've learned in Melbourne so far
Next article Bottas gets gearbox penalty, Williams reprimanded over set-up info

Top Comments