Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Jenson Button accepts 'miscommunications' over his F1 future

Jenson Button has admitted to "miscommunications" and a lack of early dialogue with McLaren that resulted in a delay over a decision on his Formula 1 future

Following weeks of speculation over Button's F1 career, the 35-year-old confirmed last week he would be staying with McLaren for 2016.

Button conceded to being "in two minds" about his future, and that it was only after "some very good chats" he opted to continue with McLaren.

Button now feels such conversations should have taken place some time ago.

"I had thoughts about what direction I would take if I wasn't here next year, what I could possibly do, but it wasn't in my mind for very long," he said.

"There were things I needed more information on about where this team is going, and that's why I spent a lot of time with Ron [Dennis, Group CEO] on the phone.

"I was also at the MTC [McLaren Technology Centre] last week, spending a lot of time with the engineers, aerodynamicsts, running through everything on the engine programme, and that's the reason why I decided to stay."

Suggested to Button he should have spoken to people at Woking earlier, he replied: "Yeah, I think there are miscommunications, but that's a way of life.

"We should talk more often within the team, and I should have sat down earlier on and gone through it.

"We've gone through it now, and that's the important thing. As long as we did it before next year that's all that mattered."

It appears Button will now play a far more intensive role in helping to develop not only the car, but also the team.

"I've never had such a long engineering meeting as we did at the factory last week, which was really exciting," he added.

"I don't just want to be a driver. I want to develop, to help and I want to direct this team to help it succeed."

The veteran has denied it was a fear of leaving F1 that played a part in his thinking to stay on.

"There's definitely no fear of leaving F1," said Button.

"I'm here because I want to be here and this team is going to be competitive in the future.

"It's the excitement of seeing what's on the table and the future of this team. That's the reason why I want to stay."

Previous article Lewis Hamilton: Red Bull shouldn't 'give up' on Formula 1
Next article Russian GP: Thursday F1 press conference full transcript

Top Comments

Latest news