Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Fernando Alonso says he wanted to drive in final F1 test this week

Fernando Alonso says that he wanted to join this week's Formula 1 test at Barcelona, but was advised against doing so by doctors

The Spaniard spent three nights in hospital earlier this week after being knocked unconscious in a crash on the final day of the second test at Barcelona on Sunday.

In a video message posted on YouTube on Friday, Alonso made it clear there was no lasting injury from the accident.

However, he said that medical staff had advised him against joining this week's final test because it would be better for him to rest.

"As you can see, I'm completely fine," said the Spaniard.

"I would like to be in the test this week in Barcelona but the doctors' recommendations were that I had to wait, a couple of days.

"So I will rest this weekend and I will keep you updated next week with progress.

"See you very soon on track and thanks for all the support."

Alonso's crash has been blamed on high winds catching him out and forcing his car off the circuit.

The fact that he spent so long in hospital has prompted the FIA to launch its own investigation in to the circumstances of the accident.

The governing body wants to see if there are any lessons that can be learned to improve safety in the future.

Previous article Barcelona F1 test: Nasr fastest for Sauber, McLaren plays catch-up
Next article FIA approves Manor's Formula 1 return on new 2015 entry list

Top Comments

Latest news