Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Fernando Alonso leaves hospital after Formula 1 test crash

Fernando Alonso has finally left hospital in Barcelona, three days after his Formula 1 testing crash

Fernando Alonso has left hospital in Barcelona, three days after his Formula 1 testing crash.

The Spaniard was airlifted from the Circuit de Catalunya track with concussion on Sunday after his McLaren hit the wall at Turn 3 on the final morning of last week's test.

NEWS UPDATE: Alonso ruled out of final test, Magnussen called in

Despite the crash being labelled a 'normal testing accident' by his McLaren team, and there being little damage to the car, mystery has surrounded why Alonso has remained in hospital for so long.

Speculation that Alonso was unconscious before the impact because of a car failure has been strongly denied by his McLaren team.

But some details of the incident have not been made public, such as the speed of Alonso's impact with the wall or the G-force that the Spaniard experienced when he crashed.

Media at the Barcelona hospital where Alonso has been since the accident confirmed on Wednesday that the Spaniard had been discharged and he has been pictured waving to reporters as he left.

"We are pleased to confirm that Fernando Alonso has now left hospital," said a McLaren statement.

"He has returned to his family's home in Spain for further rest and recuperation."

There had been no official McLaren statement since Monday about Alonso's condition, but it is unlikely that he will be testing for the team at this week's final pre-season test at Barcelona.

Should Alonso sit out the test, then it is possible that McLaren reserve driver Kevin Magnussen will be drafted in alongside Jenson Button.

Previous article Will Stevens secures Manor Formula 1 race seat
Next article FIA to investigate Fernando Alonso's McLaren Formula 1 test crash

Top Comments

Latest news