Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

WEC
The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E
London ePrix I
A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Formula E
London ePrix I
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Mercedes F1 team banned drivers from communicating after Spa GP

Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg were banned from speaking to their Mercedes Formula 1 team in the immediate fall out of their Belgian Grand Prix crash, this week's AUTOSPORT reports

Mercedes chiefs were so angry that the pair had collided on lap two of the race at Spa that they took unprecedented action against the pair.

AUTOSPORT's F1 season review issue (which can be read online here) reveals that both men were told on the Sunday night in Belgium that they were not allowed to speak to each other, or anyone at the team, until they were contacted.

In the meantime, Mercedes chiefs cleared up matters back at the factory, which included an intense two-hour meeting on the Monday after the race between Rosberg and Hamilton's team members.

Although there were heated exchanges between the two camps about what had been going on in previous weeks, in the end the team settled its differences and agreed on a way forward.

Only once the situation within the Brackley factory was sorted, Hamilton and Rosberg were ordered to make their way to the team's base.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has drawn short of confirming details about what happened immediately after Spa, but he says that the situation was bad enough for the team to make clear to both men that they had overstepped the mark.

Furthermore, he thinks the fact that both were told that a repeat situation in the future would not be tolerated and could result in one of them losing their drive, ensured that things calmed down.

"We came out of it as a super strong team," he told AUTOSPORT. "We came out and we said: no driver is ever going to interfere with this team. We are one team.

"And it made us so united because maybe the powers shifted a little bit.

"Not in a power game way - because a game like that is lethal and you cannot play games in a team.

"But, when we got them [the drivers] back at the factory they realised.

"We told them that you cannot do that again because we had bits on the car that were supposed to come at Monza, and bits that were supposed to come at Singapore.

"People had worked overnight, people didn't see their families and they had thrown it away on the second lap.

"We were not saying you are 100 per cent at fault, or one of you is - but it was enough that it was 51 per cent.

"So we said: 'Don't do it again. If you do it again, we will decide if we want to continue with this line-up'.

"That message being delivered, semi-officially, strengthened the position."

For a full review on how relations between Hamilton and Rosberg developed over the season, and exclusive insight from Wolff on how the team managed it, see the current issue of AUTOSPORT

Previous article Steve Nielsen joins Williams F1 team after leaving Toro Rosso
Next article Ferrari F1 team signs Esteban Gutierrez as test and reserve driver

Top Comments

Latest news