Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Tsuboi demands Super Formula engine overhaul as Toyota 'can't compete with Honda'

Super Formula
Tsuboi demands Super Formula engine overhaul as Toyota 'can't compete with Honda'

FIA: F1's Macarena wings to stay, but Red Bull had to do "more work"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
FIA: F1's Macarena wings to stay, but Red Bull had to do "more work"

Optimum weekend for McLaren British GT squad at Snetterton

National
Optimum weekend for McLaren British GT squad at Snetterton

DS Automobiles' outstanding track record in Formula E

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Automobiles' outstanding track record in Formula E

How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Jenson Button says McLaren-Honda F1 deal worth the wait

Jenson Button says it was worth the wait to re-sign for McLaren for the 2015 Formula 1 season

McLaren announced on Thursday that it would retain Button on a fresh two-year deal as it enters a new works F1 engine partnership with Honda.

The decision ended weeks of internal debate over whether Button or 2014 rookie team-mate Kevin Magnussen should partner ex-Ferrari racer Fernando Alonso at the Woking squad next year.

Button, 34, will now have the chance to contest his 16th straight season in Formula 1 and said the opportunity had been worth the protracted negotiations.

"It's been a long few weeks, but sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for," Button said.

"I'm not one to shy away from new challenges in life and I think this is a really, really exciting challenge.

"To be involved with the new era of McLaren-Honda really does mean a lot to me.

"To race alongside this guy [Alonso] is a big challenge, but an exciting challenge that I'm very much looking forward to."

Button had tentatively explored options to continue racing outside of F1 in 2015 but told reporters gathered at McLaren's Technology Centre that his heart had always been in racing on with the team next year.

"I did reflect on life outside of Formula 1, and it's nowhere near as exciting as life in F1 from what I've seen," Button added.

"My heart has always been here - to race for McLaren, and to race with Honda.

"I've had some very special times racing with Honda.

"We've had some difficult times as well, but there is a lot we can do and achieve together.

"I'm very happy to be here right now."

Button said the combined experience he shared with Alonso would invaluable in helping Honda make progress with the challenge of F1's new V6 hybrid turbo engined formula.

"For me, in Formula 1 it's so important to have experience," Button said.

"We know each other pretty well, and with 500 GPs between us we're pretty experienced.

"We will play a major role in helping McLaren-Honda achieve great things in the future."

MAGNUSSEN STAYS POSITIVE

Magnussen admitted he was disappointed to lose his race seat, but the Dane remains confident of getting another chance in the future.

"Obviously I'm disappointed not to be a Honda racing driver - I want to race so of course I'm disappointed - but I'm still with a great team and I still have big opportunities in my Formula 1 career and beyond and I still have a lot of time ahead so I'm still very positive," he said.

"It is exciting going into this new partnership [and] even though it's as a third driver it's still a big challenge and a big opportunity.

"I see a lot of opportunity even though I've taken a step back."

Previous article McLaren F1 team keeps Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso
Next article McLaren boss Ron Dennis: No apology for F1 line-up decision delay

Top Comments

Latest news