Formula Renault 3.5 midfielder Luca Ghiotto scored a shock pole position in the GP3 Series at Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday morning on his debut in the championship.
In wet conditions, Ghiotto lapped the Belgian Grand Prix venue in 2m22.251s in his Trident machine, a third of a second clear of Emil Bernstorff's Carlin entry.
Trident changed its entire line-up this weekend, but lost a car following Konstantin Tereshchenko's massive accident in Friday practice.
Title contender Jimmy Eriksson will start third for Koiranen GP, ahead of championship rivals Richie Stanaway and leader Alex Lynn.
Practice pacesetting team ART GP went for a bold slick-tyre gamble during the session that backfired on it, with Marvin Kirchhofer the best placed of its cars in seventh, behind Patrick Kujala.
Follow both Spa GP3 races as they happen this weekend on AUTOSPORT Race Centre Live
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Luca Ghiotto Trident 2m22.251s
2. Emil Bernstorff Carlin 2m22.584s +0.333s
3. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen 2m22.678s +0.427s
4. Richie Stanaway Status 2m22.862s +0.611s
5. Alex Lynn Carlin 2m23.081s +0.830s
6. Patrick Kujala Manor 2m23.303s +1.052s
7. Marvin Kirchhofer ART 2m23.413s +1.162s
8. Patric Niederhauser Arden 2m23.438s +1.187s
9. Matheo Tuscher Jenzer 2m23.481s +1.230s
10. Dino Zamparelli ART 2m23.565s +1.314s
11. Dean Stoneman Manor 2m23.586s +1.335s
12. Jann Mardenborough Arden 2m23.794s +1.543s
13. Nick Yelloly Status 2m23.920s +1.669s
14. Robert Visoiu Arden 2m23.996s +1.745s
15. Kevin Ceccon Jenzer 2m24.057s +1.806s
16. Alex Fontana ART 2m24.248s +1.997s
17. Sebastian Balthasar Hilmer 2m24.464s +2.213s
18. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen 2m24.687s +2.436s
19. Nelson Mason Hilmer 2m24.846s +2.595s
20. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 2m24.862s +2.611s
21. Pal Varhaug Jenzer 2m25.301s +3.050s
22. Alfonso Celis Status 2m25.553s +3.302s
23. Riccardo Agostini Hilmer 2m25.965s +3.714s
24. John Bryant-Meisner Trident 2m25.969s +3.718s
25. Ryan Cullen Manor 2m26.537s +4.286s