Ryan Hunter-Reay set the pace in the opening practice session for this weekend's IndyCar round at Mid-Ohio.
The Andretti Autosport driver waited until his final lap to post a fastest time of 1m06.5316s, beating Simon Pagenaud's previous benchmark by 0.1415 seconds.
Scott Dixon waited longer than any other driver to emerge from the pitlane, the reigning champion making his first appearance with around 10 minutes left on the clock, but that was still enough time for him to finish the morning third-fastest.
Mikhail Aleshin and Sebastien Bourdais rounded out the top five on a morning notable mostly for how little running most of the drivers completed. In a 45 minute session, only Bourdais and Graham Rahal registered 20 or more laps.
The limited running was likely a side-effect of the fact that Firestone has only allocated five sets of tyres to each car for the weekend instead of six, which was the previous norm for events that have three practice sessions.
Pos Driver Team/Engine Time Gap Laps
1. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Honda 1m06.5316s 10
2. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 1m06.6731s +0.1415s 6
3. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Chevy 1m06.7140s +0.1824s 9
4. Mikhail Aleshin Schmidt/Honda 1m06.7280s +0.1964s 18
5. Sebastien Bourdais KV/Chevy 1m06.8192s +0.2876s 20
6. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Honda 1m06.8669s +0.3353s 9
7. Marco Andretti Andretti/Honda 1m06.8675s +0.3359s 8
8. Juan Pablo Montoya Penske/Chevy 1m06.8686s +0.3370s 11
9. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi/Chevy 1m06.8962s +0.3646s 19
10. Carlos Huertas Coyne/Honda 1m06.8977s +0.3661s 19
11. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 1m07.0099s +0.4783s 23
12. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 1m07.0233s +0.4917s 10
13. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1m07.0248s +0.4932s 11
14. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 1m07.0276s +0.4960s 13
15. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m07.0967s +0.5651s 12
16. Carlos Munoz Andretti/Honda 1m07.1100s +0.5784s 12
17. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Chevy 1m07.1596s +0.6280s 16
18. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 1m07.2238s +0.6922s 12
19. Sebastian Saavedra KV/Chevy 1m07.3629s +0.8313s 17
20. Tony Kanaan Ganassi/Chevy 1m07.3968s +0.8652s 6
21. Mike Conway Carpenter/Chevy 1m07.7806s +1.2490s 13
22. Jack Hawksworth Herta/Honda 1m08.0129s +1.4813s 19
All drivers use Dallara chassis