Alonso says Ferrari F1 future not his priority at the moment
|By Ben Anderson||Friday, July 11th 2014, 11:54 GMT|
Fernando Alonso says his main priority is improving Ferrari's current Formula 1 form, rather than thinking about staying with the Scuderia when his current deal expires after 2016.
The Spaniard has performed strongly so far this season, but has been frustrated by Ferrari's lack of competitiveness.
His management courted Red Bull during last year's Hungarian Grand Prix after Ferrari hit a mid-season slump, and Alonso was later publicly admonished by Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo for criticising the team.
McLaren is known to be interested in luring Alonso away from Ferrari in the future, but the double world champion says his focus is on trying to help Ferrari do better in the short-term rather than worrying about his own future.
"I'm not thinking too much on longer term because there are bigger priorities at the moment," Alonso said, when asked during the recent British Grand Prix whether he would look to renew his Ferrari deal.
"I want to help the team and I want to score as many points as possible.
"We need maximum effort, and maximum concentration and team work to improve the car for next year.
"The future after 2016 is something that at the moment is not the main priority, but we will try to see what is the best solution."
Alonso also urged Ferrari to support new team principal Marco Mattiacci, who is undertaking a restructure of the F1 team.
"There is nothing we can do more than work hard and trust our changes and our people," Alonso added.
"There is always a programme to follow, a direction to follow - sometime it's right, sometimes it's wrong, but we need to stay together and trust the direction Mattiacci or the group of people think is the best."