Jimmy Eriksson grabbed pole position in GP3 at Silverstone on Saturday morning in wet conditions, ending points leader Alex Lynn's streak of 2014 poles.
Koiranen GP driver Eriksson set the top time with a couple of minutes remaining, toppling Lynn from the head of the timesheets by 0.316s.
Lynn had stayed in pits for the middle part of the session, and seemed to have timed it right when he came out on fresh set of wets to set 2m05.638s.
Eriksson had other ideas, however, and recovered from an early spin to take his first pole in the category, the four points he gained for doing so closing the gap on Lynn in the championship to nine.
Marvin Kirchhofer will start third for ART, but was more than a second away from pole position. Britons Dino Zamparelli (ART), Jann Mardenborough (Arden) and Emil Bernstorff (Carlin) were next up, with Status duo Richie Stanaway and Nick Yelloly, who had both taken turns at the top of the times during the middle of the session, in seventh and eighth respectively.
The session was interrupted soon after it started following a huge shunt on the Hangar Straight, as series debutant Mitch Gilbert rode over the rear of fellow rookie Sebastian.
Gilbert's car somersaulted, tearing off its front-right wheel before coming to rest right-side-up at the approach to Stowe. The Australian got out of his car, but was holding his right hand gingerly and had a muddy left shoulder.
Balthasar drove his car back to the pits, sans rear wing and with heavy suspension damage.
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen 2m05.322s
2. Alex Lynn Carlin +0.316s
3. Marvin Kirchhofer ART +1.063s
4. Dino Zamparelli ART +1.070s
5. Jann Mardenborough Arden +1.108s
6. Emil Bernstorff Carlin +1.347s
7. Richie Stanaway Status +1.382s
8. Nick Yelloly Status +1.483s
9. Riccardo Agostini Hilmer +1.880s
10. Alfonso Celis Status +1.969s
11. Robert Visoiu Arden +1.971s
12. Patrick Kujala Manor +2.095s
13. Pal Varhaug Jenzer +2.168s
14. Alex Fontana ART +2.263s
15. Matheo Tuscher Jenzer +2.279s
16. Dean Stoneman Manor +2.291s
17. Roman de Beer Trident +2.431s
18. Luis Sa Silva Carlin +2.481s
19. Nelson Mason Hilmer +2.911s
20. Patric Niederhauser Arden +2.980s
21. Ryan Cullen Manor +4.248s
22. Adderly Fong Jenzer +4.325s
23. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen +4.646s
24. Victor Carbone Trident +6.058s
25. Carmen Jorda Koiranen +8.636s
26. Sebastian Balthasar Hilmer
27. Mitchell Gilbert Trident