British Formula Ford teams welcome Formula 4 news
|By Kevin Turner||Thursday, June 26th 2014, 11:13 GMT|
British Formula Ford teams have cautiously welcomed the confirmation that the series will become the official UK championship running to FIA Formula 4 regulations next season.
The FIA launched the initiative, designed to provide a cost-effective first rung on the single-seater ladder, for 2014.
The first FIA F4 event took place at Adria earlier this month and the Motor Sports Association - the governing body for the sport in Britain - signed a contract with Ford earlier this week for 2015.
The name of the championship has yet to be determined, but Ford's 1600cc EcoBoost engine will be used in the new category. Its power is likely to be reduced from its current 200bhp British Formula Ford form to around 160bhp.
The constructor of the carbon fibre monocoque cars has yet to be confirmed, but AUTOSPORT understands Mygale is the most likely candidate.
Current squads generally welcomed the development, though expressed concern at what should be done with the current spaceframe Formula Fords.
Jamun boss James Mundy said: "I think it's great news and gives us stability, which is what we want.
"There is a bit of pain to go through, but in the long-term it's an investment worth making."
Porsche factory driver Nick Tandy, whose JTR operation has run the British Formula Ford champion for the last two years, confirmed he would like to run cars in the new category.
"It's good news for junior motorsport in this country," he said.
"It's likely to be the leading single-seater category in the country so JTR wants to be involved.
"Investing in new cars will be tough. It would be good if we could use some of our existing systems, like electronics and gearboxes, to keep costs down.
"I am concerned about the current cars and the value we've got invested in them."
Read more about the implications of the changes in this week's AUTOSPORT magazine, available now.