Marc Marquez extends Honda MotoGP deal until 2016
|Wednesday, May 14th 2014, 08:25 GMT|
Honda has extended its deal with MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez, keeping him in the team until at least 2016.
Confirmation that Marquez will stay with the squad comes as no surprise, with little incentive for either party to make a change after the 21-year-old won the MotoGP title at the first attempt in 2013.
Marquez is also unbeaten so far in 2014, holding a 28-point lead over team-mate Dani Pedrosa having won all four races held to date.
"I had always dreamt about being part of the Repsol Honda team, and thanks to Honda the dream came true a year and a half ago," said Marquez, whose junior career - which included 125cc and Moto2 titles - was nurtured by Honda title backer Repsol.
"Everything happened very quickly last season, and I would have never imagined that I could achieve what we did.
"Becoming world champion during my first season was another dream turned into reality.
"It is a great honour to be a part of the Honda family and I'm glad to remain with this special group of people for another two seasons."
Honda Racing Corporation chief Shuhei Nakamoto said there had never been any question over retaining Marquez.
"We are very satisfied to have reached an agreement to keep Marc in the team for a further two seasons," said Nakamoto.
"Of course as Honda we wanted to keep Marc in our family and he also wanted to stay with us so, it was natural to renew the contract even if it is very early in the season.
"He is enjoying a fantastic start to 2014 and even though he is still learning, his ability to absorb information and adapt to the machine is remarkable."
Honda has yet to announce whether it will keep Pedrosa, who has been with the team since beginning his MotoGP career in 2006.
All the leading MotoGP riders' contracts are up for renewal this season, with Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi also yet to secure 2015 deals.