Sergio Perez open to 2014 IndyCar move after losing McLaren F1 seat
|By Dieter Rencken and Glenn Freeman||Wednesday, November 20th 2013, 14:40 GMT|
Sergio Perez is open to switching to IndyCar for 2014 if he cannot find a competitive seat in Formula 1 after being dropped by McLaren.
McLaren confirmed last week that it will replace the Mexican with Formula Renault 3.5 champion Kevin Magnussen next year, and Perez has admitted that the timing of the decision will make it tough for him to find another F1 drive for 2014.
Four-time IndyCar champion Dario Franchitti's recent announcement that he has been forced to retire from racing due to injury has left a top seat with Chip Ganassi Racing available in the US, and Perez says he would think about switching series if an opportunity came up.
When asked if he would consider taking a Ganassi drive, Perez said: "Yes... well, I haven't had any contact, my head is fully in F1.
"I am 23 years old so I have a lot to give F1.
"But if I don't find the right seat for my future I might have to look to that option. It might be interesting to me."
Perez added that while staying in F1 remains his priority, he understands that he may need to consider other options.
"I don't know where I am going to end up," he said. "I hope I can find a seat that motivates me in F1.
"If not, I have to look for other options. I love the sport, but there are many things that I do not like in F1 so I will not be in F1 just to be here.
"I really need to find a competitive seat that can give me the opportunity to keep showing my talent so I can be able to fight for a championship, which is my aim."