Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Feature
IndyCar
Markham
How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Motegi MotoGP could be one-day event if fog continues

MotoGP says it is committed to running the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend even if fog means no track activity is possible until Sunday

All Friday practice sessions had to be cancelled as fog at Motegi meant the medical helicopter could not land under Japanese law.

MotoGP race director Michael Webb said various options had been considered for relocating the helicopter or ensuring other methods of transport, but none were deemed feasible.

"Many, many alterations were proposed - anything that was possible," he said.

"No reasonable solution has been found.

"The weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday is somewhat brighter.

"We're committed if at all possible to run this race."

If conditions allow running on Saturday morning, practice sessions will be extended before the usual schedule applies from qualifying.

But if fog returns for some or all of Saturday, Webb said plans were in place to move the helicopter to the circuit in time for anticipated better weather on Sunday.

"If the helicopter still cannot fly by tomorrow afternoon, it will be dismantled, shipped by road to the the circuit and reassembled for Sunday morning, when we expect conditions to be significantly better."

Should conditions not improve until Saturday lunchtime, the afternoon will be given over to practice sessions that Webb said will run "as long as possible", with qualifying and the races all on Sunday.

If no running is possible at all on Saturday, a draft schedule has been created that would squeeze practice, qualifying and races for all three grand prix classes into Sunday.

Previous article Bridgestone wants Phillip Island MotoGP test in 2014
Next article Motegi MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo takes commanding pole

Top Comments

Latest news