Antonio Felix da Costa has replaced Daniil Kvyat in Carlin's line-up for next month's Formula 3 Macau Grand Prix.
Carlin was forced to complete a last-minute deal with the Portuguese, winner of last year's Macau GP, after Kvyat's surprise elevation to the Toro Rosso Formula 1 team, announced on Monday evening.
Kvyat is now unable to compete in Macau on November 14-17 as he will have commitments to Toro Rosso at the clashing United States Grand Prix.
AUTOSPORT understands that team boss Trevor Carlin put the suggestion to da Costa at this week's Formula Renault 3.5 test at Barcelona for him to try to emulate Edoardo Mortara and become a two-time Macau winner.
The deal had to be done quickly as da Costa has not raced an F3 car this year. Drivers must compete in F3 during the current calendar year to be eligible for Macau, and da Costa's only opportunity to do so is this weekend's F3 Cup round at Snetterton.
According to AUTOSPORT sources, an entry for da Costa was filed for Snetterton on Wednesday evening.
He will drive a Dallara-Volkswagen alongside fellow Red Bull Junior Carlos Sainz Jr in the Norfolk event, which is also being contested by Formula Renault ace Esteban Ocon for Macau qualification purposes.
In preparation, he will test one of Carlin's F312 Dallaras at Silverstone on Friday.
Da Costa said: "I am really happy to be racing in Macau again, particularly with Carlin after our success there last year.
"Obviously the aim is to win again, although in Macau you can see your weekend turned around in an instant! But when the opportunity came up to race there again this year, I couldn't say no."
Team boss Trevor Carlin said: "We are delighted that we have one more chance to race with Antonio. He was superb in Macau last year, and as a real racer he jumped at the chance to return this year when the opportunity arose."