Title leader Andrew Jordan topped the red flag-afflicted free practice sessions at the British Touring Car Championship finale at Brands Hatch.
A damp morning session was stopped when Frank Wrathall went off in his Dynojet Toyota Avensis, while Aron Smith brought out the reds in the afternoon when he put his Motorbase Ford Focus on its side.
Jason Plato's 1m32.248s was the benchmark when the second session finally resumed for 15 minutes.
Colin Turkington got closest to Plato before championship leader Jordan recorded 1m31.988s with five minutes to go in his Eurotech Honda Civic.
Plato and his MG team-mate Sam Tordoff both improved in the closing moments and completed the top three, but fell short of Jordan.
Works Honda driver Gordon Shedden was another to make a late improvement and ended up fourth, ahead of fellow title contender Colin Turkington's WSR BMW.
Matt Neal, suffering with his injured finger, ended up 12th.
Jordan had also set the pace in the first, damp part of FP1. Smith and Tom Onslow-Cole (Motorbase Ford Focuses) and Tordoff's MG subsequently held top spot before Wrathall brought out the red flags.
The track was at its best, with drivers switching to slicks, when the session resumed with just over seven minutes to go.
The times tumbled before Dave Newsham (1m38.263s) and Ollie Jackson secured a Speedworks Toyota one-two on the very last lap of the session, with Tordoff and Smith next.
The faster times later on meant Newsham ended up 12th.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Dave Newsham Speedworks Toyota 1m38.263s 15
2. Ollie Jackson Speedworks Toyota 1m38.757s +0.494s 15
3. Sam Tordoff MG 1m40.016s +1.753s 16
4. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 1m40.434s +2.171s 15
5. Tom Onslow-Cole Motorbase Ford 1m40.553s +2.290s 15
6. Jake Hill Exocet Audi 1m40.781s +2.518s 17
7. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 1m41.072s +2.809s 17
8. Matt Neal Honda 1m41.545s +3.282s 10
9. Gordon Shedden Honda 1m41.723s +3.460s 13
10. Adam Morgan Ciceley Toyota 1m42.195s +3.932s 16
11. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall 1m42.274s +4.011s 13
12. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m42.580s +4.317s 15
13. Warren Scott BMR Volkswagen 1m42.904s +4.641s 17
14. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 1m43.034s +4.771s 16
15. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 1m43.058s +4.795s 19
16. Colin Turkington WSR BMW 1m43.711s +5.448s 12
17. Tom Barley RCIB Vauxhall 1m44.013s +5.750s 17
18. Jack Goff Hard Vauxhall 1m44.079s +5.816s 14
19. Nick Foster WSR BMW 1m44.395s +6.132s 15
20. Daniel Welch Welch Proton 1m45.516s +7.253s 8
21. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m45.831s +7.568s 12
22. Shaun Hollamby AmD Volkswagen 1m45.914s +7.651s 13
23. Aiden Moffat Hard Volkswagen 1m46.531s +8.268s 16
24. Jason Plato MG 1m48.156s +9.893s 9
25. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 6
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 1m31.988s 13
2. Jason Plato MG 1m31.993s +0.005s 12
3. Sam Tordoff MG 1m32.059s +0.071s 13
4. Gordon Shedden Honda 1m32.150s +0.162s 10
5. Colin Turkington WSR BMW 1m32.286s +0.298s 15
6. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 1m32.500s +0.512s 13
7. Tom Onslow-Cole Motorbase Ford 1m32.634s +0.646s 11
8. Adam Morgan Ciceley Toyota 1m32.842s +0.854s 12
9. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 1m32.856s +0.868s 4
10. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m33.000s +1.012s 15
11. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m33.057s +1.069s 13
12. Dave Newsham Speedworks Toyota 1m33.224s +1.236s 9
13. Matt Neal Honda 1m33.234s +1.246s 10
14. Warren Scott BMR Volkswagen 1m33.245s +1.257s 12
15. Jake Hill Exocet Audi 1m33.248s +1.260s 13
16. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 1m33.283s +1.295s 12
17. Nick Foster WSR BMW 1m33.328s +1.340s 12
18. Ollie Jackson Speedworks Toyota 1m33.797s +1.809s 12
19. Jack Goff Hard Vauxhall 1m34.081s +2.093s 12
20. Daniel Welch Welch Proton 1m34.460s +2.472s 10
21. Lea Wood Wood Vauxhall 1m34.678s +2.690s 11
22. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 1m35.243s +3.255s 13
23. Tom Barley RCIB Vauxhall 1m35.775s +3.787s 12
24. Aiden Moffat Hard Volkswagen 1m36.376s +4.388s 11
25. Shaun Hollamby AmD Volkswagen 8