Gianni Morbidelli emerged fastest from the two practice sessions for the final Superstars International Series round of the season at Vallelunga.
With the circuit wet for the entirety of the first half-hour session, it was unsurprising to see the four-wheel-drive Audi Sport Italia RS5s setting the pace.
However, Morbidelli - who leads the championship coming into the final - was trumped by his stand-in team-mate Andrea Larini, who hasn't raced in Superstars since round three in Slovakia back in June.
But in free practice two Morbidelli showed his hand. With the circuit drying out in the final few minutes, the ex-F1 driver went fastest with a 1m43.957s, a whole 1.4s faster than Tonio Liuzzi (Romeo Ferraris Mercedes) in second, and 6.3s clear of Larini's pace-setting time from FP1.
Liuzzi and Larini were among the other drivers to dramatically improve in the dying seconds of the session, finishing second and third respectively, ahead of Liuzzi's team-mate Thomas Biagi, who is Morbidelli's closest rival in the fight for the title.
Francesco Sini (Solaris Chevrolet) wound up fifth fastest, despite having been at the top of the times with just over a minute of the session remaining.
Dinamic BMW pair Giovanni Berton and Max Mugelli were sixth and seventh respectively, while Daniel Schiattarella rounded out the top eight in the second Solaris Chevrolet.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Andrea Larini Audi Italia 1m50.288 11
2. Gianni Morbidelli Audi Italia 1m50.412 +0.124s 9
3. Thomas Biagi Ferraris Mercedes 1m51.044 +0.756s 14
4. Tonio Liuzzi Ferraris Mercedes 1m52.353 +2.065s 5
5. Giovanni Berton Dinamic BMW 1m52.709 +2.421s 12
6. Domenico Schiatarella Solaris Chevrolet 1m55.257 +4.969s 6
7. Giuseppe Cipriani Audi Italia 1m55.425 +5.137s 10
8. Francesco Sini Solaris Chevrolet 1m57.210 +6.922s 5
9. Max Mugelli Dinamic BMW 1m57.581 +7.293s 7
10. Mauro Trentin Dinamic BMW 1m57.675 +7.387s 12
11. Leonardo Baccarelli CAAL Mercedes 1m57.764 +7.476s 9
12. Gianni Giudici Giudici BMW 1m58.528 +8.240s 5
13. Francesco Ascani Todi BMW 2m03.396 +13.108s 11
14. Mario Buscemi Todi BMW 2m37.592 +47.304s 9
15. Andrea Bacci CAAL Mercedes 2
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Gianni Morbidelli Audi Italia 1m43.957s 10
2. Tonio Liuzzi Ferraris Mercedes 1m45.400s +1.443s 12
3. Andrea Larini Audi Italia 1m45.653s +1.696s 14
4. Thomas Biagi Ferraris Mercedes 1m45.952s +1.995s 14
5. Francesco Sini Solaris Chevrolet 1m46.146s +2.189s 14
6. Domenico Schiatarella Solaris Chevrolet 1m46.313s +2.356s 15
7. Giovanni Berton Dinamic BMW 1m46.888s +2.931s 13
8. Max Mugelli Dinamic BMW 1m47.083s +3.126s 13
9. Mauro Trentin Dinamic BMW 1m47.699s +3.742s 13
10. Giuseppe Cipriani Audi Italia 1m48.052s +4.095s 9
11. Leonardo Baccarelli CAAL Mercedes 1m48.993s +5.036s 14
12. Francesco Ascani Todi BMW 1m49.298s +5.341s 15
13. Andrea Bacci CAAL Mercedes 1m54.409s +10.452s 8
14. Gianni Giudici Giudici BMW 1m57.050s +13.093s 10
15. Mario Buscemi Todi BMW 2m00.472s +16.515s 12