Heikki Kovalainen in contention for Caterham F1 drive in 2014
|By Jonathan Noble||Thursday, September 26th 2013, 10:50 GMT|
Heikki Kovalainen is in contention to make a Formula 1 comeback with Caterham next year.
The Leafield-based team is evaluating its options for 2014, with neither of its current drivers Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde under contract beyond the end of this season.
Team owner Tony Fernandes has close ties with Kovalainen after the Finn's three-year spell at the outfit, and says that the Finn has the chance of a return.
"Absolutely," said Fernandes, when asked by AUTOSPORT if Kovalainen was being considered. "It is no secret that I am close to Heikki and I have a lot of time for him, so let's see.
"I will leave it to the team to decide who they want, and it has to be their choice finally at the end of the day.
"It would be foolish to commit now, because plenty can happen between now and the end of the season, so let's see what is available."
Fernandes said that he had been impressed, however, with the attitude of his current drivers in recent weeks, after admitting some worries about their form earlier this year.
"I have got to say the boys have picked up," he said. "They are doing a good job now.
"They don't have the experience of Heikki, but Giedo and Charles are putting through their paces.
"They look in our mind that they want to do well. They are pushing hard, working hard and I can't fault the effort, the spirit of their positivity.
"They are not bitching and moaning and say 'give me a faster car'. I have seen many experienced drivers when they don't do so well find fault in the car."
He added: "I won't hide the fact that I was concerned at the beginning of the season, I am less concerned now.
"And, with Heikki there giving them a bit of a push for a 2014 car, we have a nice mix now."