Indianapolis 500 winners sceptical over IndyCar road course plan
|By Mark Glendenning||Wednesday, August 28th 2013, 14:23 GMT|
Plans for a possible IndyCar race on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's road course have met with a cool response from the two current drivers with most victories at the venue.
It was revealed last week that the series will run a test on the IMS road course in the coming weeks as a precursor to the possible inclusion of the venue on next year's calendar, with some speculation that it could take place in early May as part of the build-up to the Indy 500.
Three-time winner Helio Castroneves told AUTOSPORT that he is open to the idea of a road course race at Indy, but that he is not convinced that it should be in May.
"Certainly the tradition is the Indy 500, but times change," he said. "It's such a beautiful track, and just to race there one time per year is a waste.
"It would be a totally different type of racing. You've got to try it. I don't see a problem with having a second race in Indianapolis. The Indy 500 is always going to be special.
"But May... I'm really not sure. I think it might confuse people. For people who are fans, or who come from Indianapolis, it will be OK because they'll understand. But people outside the sport might think, 'didn't we already have the Indy 500?'"
Fellow three-time winner Dario Franchitti's take was more straightforward.
"Not a fan," he told AUTOSPORT. "Indy is so special and to have a race on the road course... I think it totally dilutes it.
"I'm all for trying different stuff, but not that."