MotoGP world champion Lorenzo warns he is still not fully fit
|By Matt Beer||Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 08:30 GMT|
Jorge Lorenzo has warned that he will still not be fully fit when MotoGP resumes after its summer break at Indianapolis this weekend.
The world champion had to go two major operations on his collarbone within 10 days earlier this summer following huge crashes in consecutive races at Assen and the Sachsenring.
Although Lorenzo said his condition had improved during the four-week gap since the last race, he fears the three consecutive grands prix at Indianapolis, Brno and Silverstone will be a big physical challenge.
"I was able to rest for some days after Laguna Seca and then we went to Brno to make a private test with Yamaha," he said.
"Those two days gave me an opportunity to check my physical condition. I'm a bit tired, especially because after two crashes in Assen and Sachsenring I couldn't recover so much and now we have to manage a long period with three races in a row.
"I feel better obviously than in Laguna but still need time to recover to 100 per cent and it is not going to be easy because the calendar is so busy and also we have to fight not to lose points."
Lorenzo was able to return to race to fifth place in the Netherlands after surgery on his initial collarbone break, but a second accident in Germany bent the titanium plate that had been inserted and prompted another operation.
He sat out the Sachsenring race before returning at Laguna Seca, where he finished sixth.
That left the Yamaha rider 26 points adrift of leader Marc Marquez in the world championship.