Jazeman Jaafar to make British F3 return at Brands Hatch
|By Marcus Simmons||Monday, August 5th 2013, 08:54 GMT|
Formula Renault 3.5 Series racer Jazeman Jaafar will return to the British Formula 3 International Series for this weekend's round at Brands Hatch.
Jaafar, who was runner-up in British F3 last season, will drive a Carlin Dallara-Volkswagen to bring the squad's line-up to five for the event.
The Malaysian hopes to contest this year's Macau F3 Grand Prix, and to do so must compete in an F3 race during the season in order to be eligible.
"We're waiting on a decision for Macau from the organisers," said Jaafar, who contested the Far East street race with TOM'S last year.
"I wasn't really happy with how it went last year - the team were fantastic but it didn't turn out how I had hoped. I see no reason not to do it again.
"Brands will help me back into the groove, and it's a summer break from FR3.5 so it will keep me sharp."
Jaafar, who has not driven an F3 car since last November, may get a shakedown before Friday's official test sessions but otherwise will be entering the weekend cold.
"I like Brands and have good memories of it from last year," he said. "I will be out there to relearn F3 and help the team.
"The Carlin cars have had a lot of development since I drove them last year, and results in European F3 have been strong."
Team boss Trevor Carlin added: "It'll be great to see Jazeman back in one of our F3 cars. We've been working with him for over four years now as he has grown and developed as a driver.
"Hopefully he will return with us to Macau later this year. I'm sure his maturity – despite still being only 20 – will stand him in good stead for Macau, which is one of the biggest challenges for any young driver.
"We've seen Jazeman enjoy strong results on street circuits such as Monaco and Pau and know he would be a massive credit to the team."