Nico Muller took his maiden Formula Renault 3.5 pole position in qualifying for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix support race.
The Draco driver grabbed top spot in the final minute of qualifying, taking the place away from Lotus's Marco Sorensen.
Muller and Sorensen managed to put fancied runners Stoffel Vandoorne and Antonio Felix da Costa - who have both already won races this season - in the shade after the title-chasing pair had set the early pace in the second group of split qualifying.
Muller's time was also comfortably quicker than Jazeman Jaafar, who had topped the first group for Carlin following a fierce battle with championship leader Kevin Magnussen.
As the leaders of their respective sessions, Muller and Jaafar will share the front row.
Sorensen will lead the second row away, with his Danish countryman Magnussen the top title contender starting alongside him in fourth.
Next up should have been Stoffel Vandoorne, who was third fastest in the second group. However, the McLaren junior has a five-place grid penalty for crashing under yellow flags in free practice.
The rest of the top 10 is made up by debutant Carlos Sainz Jr, Norman Nato and Will Stevens (third to fifth in the first group), da Costa and former champion Mikhail Aleshin (fourth and fifth in the second group).
GP3 racer Sainz was close to causing an upset in the first session, where he went fastest overall in the middle sector of his last lap.
However, he made a mistake in the second part of the Swimming Pool section and bounced over the kerbs, ruining any chance he had of topping the session.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Nico Muller Draco 1m23.453s Group B
2. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin 1m23.648s Group A
3. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m23.463s Group B
4. Kevin Magnussen DAMS 1m24.219s Group A
5. Stoffel Vandoorne Fortec 1m23.607s Group B*
6. Carlos Sainz Jr Zeta Corse 1m24.417s Group A
7. Antonio Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m23.627s Group B
8. Norman Nato DAMS 1m24.457s Group A
9. Mikhail Aleshin Tech 1 1m23.843s Group B
10. Will Stevens P1/Strakka 1m24.579s Group A
11. Oliver Webb Fortec 1m23.974s Group B
12. Arthur Pic AV 1m24.602s Group A
13. Nick Yelloly Zeta Corse 1m24.076s Group B
14. Andre Negrao Draco 1m24.783s Group A
15. Daniil Move Comtec 1m24.200s Group B
16. Marlon Stockinger Lotus 1m24.857s Group A
17. Carlos Huertas Carlin 1m24.354s Group B
18. Christopher Zanella ISR 1m25.163s Group A
19. Sergey Sirotkin ISR 1m24.569s Group B
20. Nikolay Martsenko Pons 1m25.293s Group A
21. Yann Cunha AV 1m25.891s Group B
22. Lucas Foresti Comtec 1m25.529s Group A
23. Pietro Fantin Arden Caterham 1m25.901s Group B
24. Matias Laine P1/Strakka 1m26.206s Group A
25. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m29.076s Group B
26. Nigel Melker Tech 1 1m30.285s Group A
* Will receive five-place penalty