Marussia says it would welcome Luiz Razia back in the future
|By Dieter Rencken and Matt Beer||Saturday, March 2nd 2013, 14:21 GMT|
Luiz Razia would be welcome back at Marussia in the future, says team boss Graeme Lowdon, despite the sponsor issues that led to the Brazilian being dropped before his Formula 1 debut.
Jules Bianchi replaced Razia in the Marussia driver line-up on Friday, just two weeks before the start of the 2013 F1 season.
Razia completed two days of testing with Marussia after securing what would have been his first F1 drive, but a sponsorship shortfall then led to him being sidelined.
Lowdon underlined that Marussia still rated Razia highly. He had been part of the team's young driver programme when it made its F1 debut as Virgin in 2010.
"Luiz is a really great guy," Lowdon told AUTOSPORT.
"He drove for the team in the past and I have no issue with Luiz at all.
"He's a very quick driver and I'd certainly hope that we can explore some opportunities with him.
"It would be nice to see him get a good opportunity. We're certainly remaining in contact."
He said the problems with the 2013 deal did not tarnish Marussia's view of Razia.
"All the teams run businesses. You operate through contractual mechanisms. Some things don't work out even though you want them to," Lowdon said.
"That's just life. There are no big issues there. It is what it is."