Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Fernando Alonso says Ferrari '200 times' better than last year

Fernando Alonso says his Ferrari team's state is '200 times better' going into the 2013 Formula 1 season than 12 months earlier

The Italian squad had a torrid winter in 2012 after its car proved to be a lot less competitive than expected ahead of the first race of the season.

This year, however, the new F138 has proved to be quick out of the box, leaving Alonso optimistic of a stronger start to the year.

Alonso took over from team-mate Felipe Massa for Friday's testing at Barcelona, and despite the mixed weather conditions the Spaniard was pleased with his team's progress.

"Obviously the conditions today were a little bit strange, so it's very difficult to compare with last week or last year," said Alonso, who managed 102 laps.

"Probably the confidence that we have now is much more than we had last year at this time.

"In the last test last year we more or less knew that we were around two seconds behind the leaders. We predicted we wouldn't be in Q3 in Australia, and it was true.

"This time is different. We are much more confident.

"The target was to reduce the gap we had in Brazil, which was seven or eight tenths, and I hope we have reduced that gap and that we arrive in Australia in a bit better shape than in Brazil, which means 200 times better than last year."

The two-time champion believes there is no reason why he will not be able to fight for the title again this year given what he managed to do with the 2012 car.

"Yes, I think so," he said when asked if he felt he could fight for this year's crown. "I don't see any reasons not to think so.

"Last year we had a very difficult winter, we were completely lost, we didn't know what the car was doing. And with that car we fought for the title until the last race in Brazil.

"We now have a car that is responding well to what we change, and that is doing what we expect.

"We know we are maybe not quickest yet, but the potential of the car is there."

AUTOSPORT special testing coverage:

Gallery Testing blog Technical blog Live commentary

Previous article Barcelona F1 test: Grosjean quickest for Lotus on day two
Next article Jules Bianchi to replace Luiz Razia in Marussia Formula 1 team

Top Comments

Latest news