Sepang MotoGP test: Dani Pedrosa back on top on final day
||Thursday, February 28th 2013, 10:27 GMT
Dani Pedrosa restored his testing superiority on the final day of MotoGP's second winter 2013 test at Sepang on Thursday.
Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo had become the first man to beat Pedrosa in a 2013 test when he led the way on day two, but Honda was back in front as the Malaysian test wrapped up.
It was a one-two for the team, as Pedrosa's new team-mate Marc Marquez took second place, just 0.081 seconds adrift.
Pedrosa was the pacesetter for most of the session once serious running got underway following morning rain.
Marquez had two minor falls during the day but was soon able to rejoin.
Lorenzo and Yamaha team-mate Valentino Rossi were back in third and fourth, half a second off the pace, as the world champion focused on long runs.
Alvaro Bautista completed the top five on the Gresini Honda, ahead of Cal Crutchlow's Tech 3 Yamaha.
Ducati's tentative progress continued as Andrea Dovizioso got within a second of the pace on the leading works bike in eighth place. His team-mates Nicky Hayden and Michele Pirro both had minor crashes.
Randy de Puniet replaced Aspar team-mate Aleix Espargaro at the head of the CRT pack in 13th overall.
On its second day in action, Paul Bird Motorsport's new in-house chassis got up to 22nd place in the hands of rookie Michael Laverty. Team-mate Yonny Hernandez was back in 26th on the team's Aprilia.
MotoGP's final pre-season test takes place at Jerez on March 23-25.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m00.562s 57
2. Marc Marquez Honda 2m00.643s + 0.081s 54
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m00.992s + 0.430s 56
4. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 2m01.062s + 0.500s 61
5. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 2m01.078s + 0.516s 43
6. Cal Crutchlow Tech Yamaha 2m01.094s + 0.532s 59
7. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2m01.309s + 0.747s 63
8. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 2m01.650s + 1.088s 44
9. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.070s + 1.508s 53
10. Bradley Smith Tech Yamaha 2m02.314s + 1.752s 64
11. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 2m02.566s + 2.004s 52
12. Michele Pirro Ducati 2m02.773s + 2.211s 38
13. Randy De Puniet Aspar Aprilia 2m02.863s + 2.301s 45
14. Ben Spies Pramac Ducati 2m03.055s + 2.493s 33
15. Katsuyuki Nakasuga Yamaha 2m03.154s + 2.592s 32
16. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m03.155s + 2.593s 42
17. Wataru Yoshikawa Yamaha 2m03.257s + 2.695s 26
18. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 2m03.423s + 2.861s 45
19. Karel Abraham Cardion Aprilia 2m04.066s + 3.504s 57
20. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 2m04.102s + 3.540s 42
21. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m04.512s + 3.950s 51
22. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 2m04.546s + 3.984s 24
23. Lukas Pesek Ioda Suter-BMW 2m04.674s + 4.112s 33
24. Danilo Petrucci Ioda Suter-BMW 2m04.686s + 4.124s 36
25. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 2m04.718s + 4.156s 51
26. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 2m04.722s + 4.160s 47
27. Takumi Takahashi Honda 2m04.749s + 4.187s 65
28. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 2m05.313s + 4.751s 40