Bruno Senna leaves F1 for Aston Martin Le Mans and WEC drive
|By Gary Watkins||Tuesday, February 5th 2013, 19:50 GMT|
Former Williams, Renault and HRT Formula 1 driver Bruno Senna will race for Aston Martin in this year's World Endurance Championship.
The 29-year-old Brazilian will race one of the British manufacturer's pair of GTE Pro class Aston Martin Vantage GTEs in the full championship, including the Le Mans 24 Hours.
The deal rules Senna out of contention for the remaining seats on the F1 grid. He had recently been linked to a Force India drive.
"I want to move forward and get back to winning races," Senna told AUTOSPORT. "The opportunities weren't there to do that in Formula 1."
Senna will share the Gulf-liveried car with fellow Aston Martin Racing newcomer Frederic Makowiecki in each of the eight races, while Rob Bell will join them as the third driver for Le Mans and the Spa 6 Hours.
Senna will race the Aston for the first time at next month's Sebring 12 Hours alongside team regulars Darren Turner and Mucke. He previously contested Le Mans with ORECA in 2009.
AMR team principal John Gaw said: "Our aim is to win at Le Mans and in the WEC, and we are particularly pleased to welcome such a professional driver line-up to Aston Martin Racing in this centenary year."
The second Pro car in AMR's four-strong WEC entry will be shared by Turner and Mucke, who took class honours in last year's series finale at Shanghai.
They will be joined by former JRM HPD and Nissan driver Peter Dumbreck at Spa and Le Mans.
AMR has also confirmed the line-ups in its two GTE Am class Vantages: Danes Allan Simonsen, Christoffer Nygard and Kristian Poulsen, who drove for AMR last year at Le Mans, will share one, while Jamie Campbell-Walter, Stuart Hall and Roald Goethe will drive the other.
AMR has a further two cars on the reserve list for the Le Mans 24 Hours, which could also run in selected WEC rounds.