Robert Kubica says recovery still has a 'long way to go'
|By Glenn Freeman||Monday, January 28th 2013, 11:10 GMT|
Robert Kubica believes he still has a long way to go in his recovery from the injuries he sustained in a rally crash in 2011.
The Pole returned to the cockpit of a racing car last week, as he sampled a DTM Mercedes at Valencia.
Previously, his return had been focused around rally cars, which included competing in some regional events in 2012.
"I have big injuries, so there is still a long way to go for my health and my body," Kubica told the DTM's online TV channel.
"But yeah, slowly it is getting better. Of course, it has needed time.
"This test was just to get a feeling of the car and see how it looks and how it is to drive a DTM car.
"Overall I feel comfortable in the car which is good. That is always important, especially if you only have a short time to adapt."
New Mercedes-Benz motorsport chief Toto Wolff said that Kubica was testing a DTM car because the condition of his right arm still does not allow him to drive a single seater.
The 28-year-old said that he can still only drive cars with more cockpit space, and that could lead to him joining the series in the future.
"If I have enough room in the car - and in the DTM car I do – then there is no big limitation for my arm," he added.
"So we will see. For sure, the DTM can be an option for me."