Force India denies its Formula 1 future is in jeopardy
|By Dieter Rencken and Pablo Elizalde||Friday, January 18th 2013, 15:23 GMT|
Force India has rubbished suggestions that it faces an uncertain future following rumours of severe financial problems.
Deputy team boss Bob Fernley told AUTOSPORT that reports suggesting the squad was in trouble were untrue.
"There is absolutely no substance to it," he said.
Team owner Vijay Mallya's airline Kingfisher has been struggling financially, failing to generate a profit since its launch in 2005. Late last year it was forced to ground its fleet.
Fernley said Force India was not affected by the problems surrounding Mallya's companies and it was pressing on as usual.
"Our shareholder Vijay and Sahara are incredibly strong," he said. "They don't need partners.
"As we speak, we are putting together and implementing an expansion programme that Vijay talked about at the end of last year.
"And all that is going ahead and moving forward. For the last four years, coming now to our fifth year, the team has been financed without any dependence on the shareholders' companies that they own.
"There is absolutely no substance to it anywhere and that's the thing that's very distressing."
When asked if the team can continue unaffected by problems with Mallya's companies, Fernely said: "Correct. And it does."
He also denied the Silverstone-based squad had talked to any possible buyers.
"We have had no discussions whatsoever with any buyers at all," he said.