Felipe Nasr secures Daytona 24 Hours return with Action Express
|By Sam Tremayne||Thursday, November 29th 2012, 10:09 GMT|
2011 British Formula 3 champion Felipe Nasr will compete in his second straight Daytona 24 Hours after landing a drive with Action Express Racing.
The 20-year-old Brazilian finished third in last year's race, partnering Jorge Goncalvez, Michael McDowell and Gustavo Yacaman at Michael Shank Racing.
He earned the drive as part of his prize for winning last year's Daytona Challenge.
Nasr, who will compete in GP2 full-time with Carlin in 2013, insists victory is his only objective at Daytona.
"I'm delighted to be returning to Daytona to drive with Action Express Racing at the 2013 Rolex 24," he said.
"After finishing third on my first attempt my goal is to win this prestigious race - with Action Express I believe we have a team capable of taking the top step of the podium."
Action Express team manager Gary Nelson said he had been chasing Nasr ever since he tested with the team last year.
"Our plan to ask Felipe to drive an Action Express Corvette began 12 months ago," Nelson explained. "We had the opportunity to work with Felipe last December at Daytona during a two day test session and were very impressed with his ability to quickly transition from the cars he had been driving to our Daytona Prototype.
"Then later, in January, we watched closely from a few pits away as he drove a very smart race for Michael Shank Racing.
"We are very excited that he accepted our invitation to join our team for the 2013 Rolex 24. Going to Daytona everyone at Action Express has the same attitude as Felipe, we expect to win."
Speed Euroseries racer Ivan Bellarosa meanwhile claimed this year's Daytona Challenge title, and with it a drive in the 2013 Daytona 24 Hours. His team is yet to be confirmed.