Stoffel Vandoorne flies in final 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 test
|By Glenn Freeman
||Saturday, November 24th 2012, 14:13 GMT
Formula Renault Eurocup champion Stoffel Vandoorne broke Robin Frijns's lap record on the final day of Formula Renault 3.5 testing at Aragon on Friday.
Vandoorne, who succeeded FR3.5 champion Frijns as the winner of the Eurocup in Renault's 2-litre category this year, switched from DAMS to drive the Dutchman's title-winning car for Fortec Motorsports on the final day.
The Belgian led the way after a busy morning session to go slightly quicker than Kevin Magnussen had managed earlier in the week.
While no one was able to beat Vandoorne's morning benchmark in the afternoon, he found another three tenths of a second to set a 1m39.085s.
Frijns, who was announced as Sauber's Formula 1 reserve driver for 2013 during the day, was in attendance at the test having spent Wednesday and Thursday driving a development car for Renault.
Vandoorne confirmed earlier this week that he will accept Renault's prize offer of €500,000 for winning the Eurocup, which he is only eligible for if he steps up to FR3.5.
However, he said after the test that he is still yet to decide which team to race for next year, having driven for DAMS and Fortec during post-season testing.
"It's great to finish the year like this, and it feels pretty good to beat Robin's record with his car and with him looking on," said Vandoorne.
"Now comes the hard part: choosing the right team.
"This result is obviously going to be important in the choice we make, though there are a lot of other things to take into consideration."
Carlos Sainz Jr was second fastest for DAMS, ahead of 2012 FR3.5 frontrunner Nico Muller, who was back in action with Draco at this test.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Stoffel Vandoorne Fortec 1m39.085s
2. Carlos Sainz Jr DAMS 1m39.432s + 0.347s
3. Nico Muller Draco 1m39.547s + 0.462s
4. Norman Nato DAMS 1m39.588s + 0.503s
5. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m39.592s + 0.507s
6. Daniel Kvyat Fortec 1m39.637s + 0.552s
7. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m39.847s + 0.762s
8. Pietro Fantin P1 1m39.889s + 0.804s
9. Lucas Foresti AV 1m39.954s + 0.869s
10. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin 1m39.955s + 0.870s
11. Sergey Sirotkin ISR 1m39.974s + 0.889s
12. Carlos Huertas Carlin 1m40.178s + 1.093s
13. Andre Negrao Draco 1m40.191s + 1.106s
14. Nick Yelloly Pons 1m40.217s + 1.132s
15. Marlon Stockinger Lotus 1m40.296s + 1.211s
16. Will Stevens Arden Caterham 1m40.363s + 1.278s
17. Will Buller Comtec 1m40.602s + 1.517s
18. Yann Cunha AV 1m40.611s + 1.526s
19. Nikolay Martsenko Tech 1 1m40.676s + 1.591s
20. Niccolo Schiro Tech 1 1m40.682s + 1.597s
21. Esteban Guerrieri ISR 1m40.744s + 1.659s
22. Matias Laine Arden Caterham 1m41.105s + 2.020s
23. Tamas Pal Kiss BVM Target 1m41.261s + 2.176s
24. Dimitry Suranovich P1 1m41.322s + 2.237s