Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 5 views remaining

You have read 10 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 25 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 25 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Glenn Freeman Editor
Find out more about our subscriptions

WRC Spain: Petter Solberg insists incident was unavoidable

Petter SolbergPetter Solberg insists he was not to blame for the suspension damage that ended his chances of winning Ford's final rally as a factory World Rally team.

The Norwegian broke the left-front suspension on his Ford Fiesta RC WRC on the second stage of the Rally of Spain on Friday morning.

There was initially speculation that Solberg had hit the same rock that caused his retirement in Spain a year ago, but Solberg said he fell victim to the stage surface being washed away by heavy rain.

Thierry Neuville had already damaged his Citroen at the same spot.

"Neuville hit it first and he was out, but he wasn't there slowing anybody down," said Solberg.

"There was a hole on the line and as the cars went through the hole was getting bigger and bigger.

"With the rain, the road had been washed away and the car was being pulled into this line. The [impact] broke one bolt and we were out.

"Chris [Patterson, co-driver] went back and stood near the place to tell everybody else to keep out. If he hadn't done this, for sure, they would all have been in there."

The incident was Solberg's second crash on a fast left-hand corner in as many WRC events.

"I don't know what to say," he said. "It's just so bad."

  More news  
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
Loeb seals victory to end campaign
Loeb set for comfortable victory
Peerless Loeb storms away on asphalt
Loeb profits amid Ostberg dramas
Ostberg not expecting to hold Loeb off
Ostberg leads from Loeb in Spain
Loeb aims to survive afternoon stages
Solberg crash 'very disappointing'
Ostberg leads after morning rain
Loeb quickest in Spain qualifying