Pedro de la Rosa sorry to see Formula Renault UK go
|By Ben Anderson and Edd Straw
||Friday, September 28th 2012, 09:18 GMT
Pedro de la Rosa says the end of Formula Renault UK is a sad development for the sport.
The French manufacturer confirmed earlier this week that its two-litre single-seater series will not return to the British Touring Car Championship support bill in 2013.
Organisers cancelled the 2012 championship on the eve of the season, after only six drivers signed up to compete.
They originally intended to revive the category in 2013 and had until this month to take up an option to return the series to the TOCA package, but have decided against doing so.
HRT Formula 1 driver de la Rosa won the 1992 Formula Renault UK title when the series was a multi-make category and said it was the place he learnt most as a junior driver.
"The Formula Renault car was my first experience with a single-seater with wings and slicks," de la Rosa said.
"I learnt an awful lot of from it, especially how to balance a single-seater with the front wing and how critical the temperature aspect of a slick tyre is.
"I have great memories of the Formula Renault UK Championship and my team Minister International. The level of teams and drivers was very high and I believe it is the series I have learnt most from in all my career.
"I am sad to hear it will not continue because it was an affordable series for young drivers that did not have a big enough budget for F3 or just lacked experience."