Frederic Makowiecki claimed pole position for the Hexis McLaren team at the penultimate round of the FIA GT1 World Championship at the Nurburgring.
The Frenchman, who is paired in the team's lead MP4-12C with Stef Dusseldorp, topped the times in the final segment of the three-round qualifying session on a 1m55.024s.
That put him three tenths ahead of Laurens Vanthoor in the WRT Audi R8 LMS ultra he shares with Stephane Ortelli.
Makowiecki said: "I didn't do a perfect lap. I was up on the first sector on the next lap, but then I made a mistake. It's good to be at the front, especially on this track, because the first corner is a little bit tricky."
Third place went to Oliver Jarvis in the second WRT Audi, which he co-drives with Frank Stippler, on a time a further two tenths back.
Makowiecki and Dusseldorp, who are looking to overturn a 17-point deficit in the drivers' standings over the final two weekends of the championship, significantly outperformed their rivals for the title.
Marc Basseng, who is second in the points with team-mate Markus Winkelhock, ended up eighth in the times in Qualifying 3 aboard the lead All-Inkl.com Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, while championship leaders Michael Bartels and Yelmer Buurman ended up 11th after the former failed to make it through Q2 aboard the lead Vita4One BMW Z4.
The 13-car GT1 grid is bolstered at the 'Ring by 11 cars from the FIA GT3 European Championship.
Championship leaders Maximilian Buhk and Dominik Baumann qualified their Heico Gravity-Charouz Mercedes on pole for each of the two races.
Pos Drivers Team/Car Time Gap
1. Makowiecki/Dusseldorp Hexis McLaren 1m55.024s
2. Vanthoor/Ortelli WRT Audi 1m55.390s + 0.366s
3. Jarvis/Stippler WRT Audi 1m55.574s + 0.550s
4. Pastorelli/Jager Munnich Mercedes 1m55.811s + 0.787s
5. Kox/Rosina Reiter Lamborghini 1m55.922s + 0.898s
6. Parisy/Bleekemolen Reiter Lamborghini 1m56.263s + 1.239s
7. Demoustier/Parente Hexis McLaren 1m56.370s + 1.346s
8. Basseng/Winkelhock Munnich Mercedes 1m56.587s + 1.563s
9. Ide/Castellacci AF Ferrari 1m56.187s Q2
10. Buurman/Bartels Vita4One BMW 1m56.280s Q2
11. Vilander/Salaquarda AF Ferrari 1m56.305s Q2
12. Lauda/Mayr-Melnhof Vita4One BMW 1m56.343s Q2
13. Lariche/Groppi SUNRED Ford 1m57.151s Q2